We have a window wall, we have black paper, we have the footings in for the hot water heater shed and the front entrance stairs. We also have the framing up for the bathroom walls and the kitchen appliance corner. Coming up next this week- stubbing out the plumbing and electrical, popping in the septic system and hanging the front door. The siding and shingles were delivered this morning so they’ll be ready when the time is right.
After all that is done and inspected one of the things we move on to is the insulation and deciding the timing for staining the concrete floor. I’ve been playing with colors to layer and create with. More on that to come.
Charlie writes out a purchase list of lumber needs, we place the order, Charlie marks out an area for the delivery and we cross our fingers that an 18 wheeler can make it across the creek, get to the site and then turn around in order to get back out. The cosmic energy is with us and everything goes smoothly, even the directions for getting to the middle of nowhere.
Now just watch the house go up. The foundation part was scary ’cause it was all destined to be sealed in concrete and not easily fixed if it was askew. This is a little less nerve wracking and a bit more exciting because something starts to look like a house.
More to come……wanted to get the pictures up, descriptions of what is happening will be added.
The soil gets compacted to the satisfaction of the soil engineer and gravel is added.
The insulation board is put down and Richard Turlington, from Tom Wills Solar Consultants, comes in to lay out the radiant floor piping. Following that Sawyer Termite comes in to spray, everything gets tested and inspected and ta-dah…the concrete is poured and the anchor bolts for the framing are put in place.
other stuff is happening…
Working with Charlie Hurlbert, the man who will be building the rest of the house, besides being my major advisor on almost everything to do with construction, we manage to discover a great front door for the house over at Habitat for Humanity Home store in Durham.
Then at the Pittsboro store I discover an Anderson sliding door with all the required parts still in the original boxes at less than half of what it might cost new. Charlie brings his truck and we store the parts in my daughter’s basement (or rather Charlie does. I watch and take pictures.)
Lots and lots of pictures….
Steve ( Redmon Masonry Inc.) sights for the footings…
Wouldn’t you know that I’d get a flat on the first day of construction? But I was rescued by Steve’s helper. My spare was good enough to get me to an auto shop where I wound up buying two new tires. I kinda knew that was going to happen sooner or later but…I was hoping for later.
The first shovelful…
Lots more shovels full….
Then…while my back was turned…
the beginnings of the foundation appeared.
Then it was time to call the Maness Well people back to get the well pump hooked up and call the plumbers.
But first, in order for the pump to work it had to be hooked up to the electric panel so Jacques came back to take care of that….
Here’s what the plumbers got going with….
Jacques laid in his electric line to the house in the trench with the plumbing and the inspector came to check it all out.
The plumbing passed with flying colors but the inspector asked that a compaction test be conducted by a soil engineer and the report, with a seal, be placed in the InfoBox. He also said I’d need to have a port-a-john on the site. I knew what a port-a-john was and had no problem finding a local company (We Pump It) to bring one in. But the compaction report business took some figuring out.